Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Your Children Are YOU...

Let me first say that I am not a parent, yet. Therefore, all comments in this blog are simply the observances of an observant man.

If you are a parent, everything you do is watched. Every smug phrase you utter, every profane word spoken, every vise indulged, everything you do, shapes your children. If you do a good job as a parent, your children will make wise choices and not grow up to be a clone of you. They will become a free thinker, and make their own decisions, knowing that all actions, and inaction's have consequences.

I believe smoking is a way for people to "deal" with stress. I choose not to smoke, simply because I do not ever want to have to deal with "NEEDING" a cigarette, or going through a "nici-fit". I believe that smoking is a sign of weakness. It is important to note here, that I am one of three children in my family, and both my parents smoke, and so do my siblings. This goes to prove my point: if you smoke, your kids will probably smoke.

As for drinking, I do so only occasionally. I don't drink to get drunk, but only to celebrate life events, and even then I do not see the need. I am not a slave to any real addictions with the exception of caffeine and sugar. My sister is a partier. She smokes weed, as do my parents, and drinks to party. Another point proven: if you drink away your pain, your kids will indulge the bottle therapy. My brother spent a year of his life on house arrest, with a mostly clean record until this point, due to alcohol and the choices it helped him make.

We are all accountable for our actions, but if you are a parent, than you are responsible for the actions and decisions of your children. Your actions show them the appropriate way to deal with situations. If you find yourself cussing out the guy who cut you off, don't be surprised or angry when your children use the fowl language that you taught them.

It all boils down to this: Think before you act. Sometimes we don't have the time to think through the consequences of our actions. Make that time. Children today are more disrespectful toward their elders than ever before. They are more self indulgent, more egotistical and more selfish than they have been in past years. The scary fact is that their parents form them.

The observances I have made here are, of course, not about all children, certainly not your little angel, but about many.

But hey, I am not a parent, so what do I know?

No comments: